Knowledge is your best protection. Use your creativity to find safer substitutes for toxic materials whenever possible. Consult label warnings and follow directions carefully. Small traces over periods of time do add up.
Toxics such as organic solvents and heavy metals can enter your body through your mouth, lungs, or skin…
• By mouth: Swallow poison? No way! But how about snacking, drinking, or smoking in the studio, pointing brushes with your lips, or holding a brush in your teeth? All can carry toxics into your body. For safety, lock up toxics and store them in their original containers.
• Breathing: Dust and fumes do harm even when they’re too fine to see. Favor liquids over aerosols. Isolate and ventilate properly when you spray, grind, or heat materials – fans may just spread the problem and paper masks may not be adequate to handle the specific hazard you face. Take the time to take care. Shortcuts can shorten your life and risk the health of those around you.
• Skin contact: Paint under your nails? Scrubbing with solvents? Stop! Wear latex or chemical-resistant gloves if needed. And select a safe hand cleanser for clean-up.